Jobs by Category
Cultural / Health MediatorRef. 1261 Nicosia
Posted on 06/11/2017
ΚΕΝΗ ΘΕΣΗ ΣΕ ΔΙΕΘΝΗ ΟΡΓΑΝΙΣΜΟ
Special Vacancy Notice CY2017-04
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Cultural / Health Mediator
Duty Station : Nicosia, Cyprus
Classification : Grade G4 equivalent
Type of Appointment : Special Short term, until 30th September 2018, with
possibility of extension, part-time 50%
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 17th November 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM Migration Health Division works towards the promotion of a public health approach to migrants’ health to ensure migrants’ right to health, to avoid disparities in health status and access to services, to reduce excess mortality and morbidity and to optimize health outcomes and the ensuing contribution to social cohesion, growth and development.
The Re-Health2 (Implementation of the Personal Health Record as a tool for integration of refugees in EU health systems) project has the overall objective to contribute to the integration of newly-arrived migrants and refugees, including those to be relocated, in the EU Member States’ health systems through the utilization of the PHR/e-PHR (a universal EU tool for health assessments that aims at improving the continuity of care, making medical records available to health professionals within and from reception to destination countries, and facilitating data collection to better understand and meet migrants’ and refugees’ health needs) as also through supporting and fostering use of and capacity-building of health mediators. Ultimately, the project will contribute to the EU Digital Strategy by demonstrating the feasibility and limitations of such a system, which then can if positive be further up taken /taken in to consideration by e-(Health) EU related entities.
Under the direct supervision of the Country Coordinator and the overall supervision of the Head of Office – IOM Cyprus, the successful candidate will provide cultural/health mediation in Cyprus.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Provide interpretation and cultural/health mediation to migrants
2. Inform migrants about the project and support health promotion activities, including the translation of information materials to be disseminated to migrants and refugees
3. Other related tasks as required for the successful implementation of the project
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor degree in interpretation / translation from an accredited academic institution, with two years of relevant professional experience, or
• Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Certificate or specialized training in interpretation/translation is an asset
• Previous experience providing interpretation for vulnerable groups is an advantage
• Knowledge of or experience working in the health sector is an asset
Fluency in Somali and English is required.
Knowledge of Greek, French, Arabic or any other IOM official language is an advantage
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the can